8.24.2012

PICASSO masterpieces from the musée national picasso, paris

We went to the AGO's Picasso show today! 

I can't believe I held off for so long. It's on its last few days, so the crowds are a bit on the crazy side - lots of people, lots of loud kids, loud adults, people butting in right in front of you, people getting way too close to the works... I don't know, the typical Toronto museum experience? Which is too bad because it's the kind of show where it would be awesome to take the time and fill a sketchbook cover to cover. If only I could've made it on a quiet weekday!

Anyway. Picasso. The man is awesome. I'm still pretty overwhelmed by the whole thing. Here are a couple of my favourites from the show:


Portrait of Dora Maar, 1937

The colours in this one is what got me. So vibrant when you see them for real. Isn't that face the most gorgeous thing ever?

The Goat, 1950

Head of a Woman, 1931

Sweet sculptures! The goat is abstracted but feels like more of a goat than a real goat. An awesome caricature. And suprisingly anatomically correct. That lady on the other hand...

Room 5, Surreal Anxiety and Desire, 1924-1234

She was in this room, one of my favourites in the exhibit. Surreal Anxiety and Desire. Pervy me, figures!

The Farmer's Wife, 1938

I may have said "CHICKENS!" louder than I probably should have as soon as I saw this painting... As you may remember, I get excited about chickens. Two chickens. Chicks. Those toes. That ass. That crotch. Those penis fingers. Picasso, you fucking genius.

Reclining Woman Reading, 1939

There was something about a cat-pose in the description for this one. So she reminded me of Luce. Must be the blue. And I guess I picture Luce as a blonde?

With over 150 pieces, you'll come out of the exhibit completely drained and energized at the same time. So much inspiration! So many laughs! Picasso is so much FUN! Please don't miss it, or you'll hate yourself later. Or, you know, just wait until the Musée National Picasso de Paris is done with its renovations and catch up in the city of looove.

The show ends its run in Toronto August 26th, so if you have the chance, you should totally go this weekend. Screw the Ex, screw Fan Expo :)

No comments:

Post a Comment